How soon after taking nitrous oxide will I feel its effects?

Nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, works quickly. Within a few minutes of inhaling nitrous oxide through a small mask over the nose, you will feel relaxed or even sleepy. However, it doesn’t make you lose consciousness, allowing you to follow your dentist’s directions.

It wears off very quickly as well, so when the gas is turned off, the effects of sedation vanish almost at once. When the nitrous oxide is turned off, the dentist will switch the flow to pure oxygen, which helps flush the remaining nitrous oxide from the body.

When nitrous oxide gas is administered, you will feel the effects within one to two minutes. The effects will wear off shortly after the gas is stopped.

Continue Learning about Nitrous Oxide

Who should not receive nitrous oxide?
People who are taking particular medications, including asthma and blood pressure prescriptions,...
What are the side effects of nitrous oxide?
Unless you abuse it, nitrous oxide, a sedative used in dental procedures, should not cause any n...
Should I receive nitrous oxide if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant now or plan to get pregnant, you should not receive nitrous oxide without ta...
What should I avoid while using nitrous oxide?
You don't have to change your routine too much before taking nitrous oxide, because it's a lower...