How soon after taking nitrous oxide will I feel its effects?

When nitrous oxide gas is administered, you will feel the effects within one to two minutes. The effects will wear off shortly after the gas is stopped.

Nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, works quickly. Within a few minutes of inhaling nitrous oxide through a small mask over the nose, you will feel relaxed or even sleepy. However, it doesn’t make you lose consciousness, allowing you to follow your dentist’s directions.

It wears off very quickly as well, so when the gas is turned off, the effects of sedation vanish almost at once. When the nitrous oxide is turned off, the dentist will switch the flow to pure oxygen, which helps flush the remaining nitrous oxide from the body.

Continue Learning about Nitrous Oxide

Who should not receive nitrous oxide?
People who are extremely nervous about dental work and cannot be calmed by nitrous oxide should ...
Is the use of nitrous oxide safe for pregnant women?
The use of nitrous oxide in pregnant women is controversial, and it is preferable pregnant women not...
Is there a generic version of nitrous oxide?
Nitrous oxide is the name of the active ingredient of a gas for which there is not a brand name....
What happens if I miss a dose of nitrous oxide?
It is unlikely that you will miss a dose of nitrous oxide because it will be administered by tra...