How do night terrors affect the body?

Night terrors happen when you are asleep, usually during the early stages of sleep. During a night terror, you may move and speak as if you are awake, but you are not. If you are experiencing fear, it is likely that you will sweat and your heart and breathing will race. As long as you do not hurt yourself or others during an episode, or have chronically poor sleep as a result, night terrors are not typically dangerous.

Continue Learning about Night Terrors

How common are night terrors?
Night terrors mainly affect children age 3-7--especially boys between 5 and 7 years old--and much ...
How are night terrors diagnosed?
You may remember having night terrors, but probably not. If you live with other people, they will pr...
What are the symptoms of night terrors?
During a night terror, you may open your eyes, yell, flail your arms, kick, sweat, and/or experience...
Should I talk to my doctor about my night terror symptoms?
Night terrors can be scary, but they usually aren't a matter of grave concern. If you hurt yourself ...