How do night terrors affect the body?

Night terrors happen when you are asleep, usually during the early stages of sleep. During a night terror, you may move and speak as if you are awake, but you are not. If you are experiencing fear, it is likely that you will sweat and your heart and breathing will race. As long as you do not hurt yourself or others during an episode, or have chronically poor sleep as a result, night terrors are not typically dangerous.

Continue Learning about Night Terrors

Should I talk to my doctor about my night terror symptoms?
Night terrors can be scary, but they usually aren't a matter of grave concern. If you hurt yourself ...
Is there a cure for night terrors?
There is no one cure for night terrors. Effective treatment will depend on the source of your proble...
Can night terrors be prevented?
There is no sure way to prevent night terrors. Typically, they occur in childhood and are outgro...
Do night terrors affect children differently than adults?
Night terrors occur more often in children than in adults. They are most common between the ages...