How do medications treat nerve gas poisoning?

Nerve gas poisoning occurs when nerve gases enter the body and interfere with cell respiration, depriving the cells of oxygen and causing a buildup of acetylcholine. Pretreatment antidotes work by interrupting the interference of nerve gases upon cell respiration so that the cells can properly dispose of acetylcholine and allow nerve endings to function properly. Post exposure medications work by preventing absorption of excess acetylcholine.

Continue Learning about Nerve Gas Poisoning

Does the amount of exposure affect nerve gas poisoning symptoms?
The level and duration of exposure to nerve gas determines the severity of resulting symptoms and ef...
What drugs are used to treat nerve gas poisoning?
Nerve gas poisoning can be treated with drugs before and after exposure. Some drugs, such as pyridos...
What are the disadvantages of nerve gas poisoning treatment?
Nerve gas poisoning is generally treated with atropine, diazepam, and a class of drugs known as oxim...
Who can I talk to if I'm worried about nerve gas poisoning?
Nerve gas poisoning most often occurs among military personnel in instances of chemical warfare. Civ...