How can sleeping on my side cause neck pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
When you lie on your side, your top shoulder and arm will drop to the bed, pulling your shoulder blade forward and creating an extension stress in the cervical spine, which results in neck pain. To prevent this, try sleeping with your arm resting on a pillow to help your shoulder blade remain in an optimal position.
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
Pain in the neck is, well, a pain in the neck. And some two-thirds of us will suffer from it at some point, says orthopedic spine surgeon Samuel Cho, ...
What are the symptoms of neck pain?
Symptoms of neck pain may vary depending on the cause of the pain. Here are some examples of common ...
Why is neck pain a common complaint in women?
Howard S. SmithHoward S. Smith
Neck pain is a common complaint by women. Whether from osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease...
How Can I Help Prevent Neck Pain?
How Can I Help Prevent Neck Pain?