How can I help reduce neck pain while sleeping?

One of the best ways to relieve neck pain is to practice good sleep habits. Your head should not tilt up or down while you sleep since this posture misaligns the muscles in your spine. Try using a sleep posture pillow, with a depression in its center so that your neck is relaxed rather than angled upward.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Some of my clients have had great success in diminishing their neck pain and headaches by reducing the thickness of the pillows they sleep on. If you are planning to try this, start by making small changes, and let them take effect over a period of a couple weeks before further lowering the pillow's profile. Not all people will tolerate sleeping with a lower pillow, and it could make matters worse if too much change is attempted all at once. It may take several weeks or months to tolerate a thinner pillow that doesn't support the head in an extended-neck position.

Likewise, if you sleep on your stomach, try falling asleep on your side or back instead. Gradually this will not feel so foreign. If you wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, return to your back or side. Give yourself some time. Making abrupt changes during sleep can irritate the neck. You are sleeping for six to eight hours, which is a significant period of time to maintain a drastic change in your accustomed sleeping position. Be easy on yourself. Remember, the goal is to lengthen the muscles attaching the base of the skull to the neck.
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
Pain in the neck is, well, a pain in the neck. And some two-thirds of us will suffer from it at some point, says orthopedic spine surgeon Samuel Cho, ...
What can I do to stop my neck from hurting?
Matthew F. McCarty, MDMatthew F. McCarty, MD
Most neck pain will go away in days with rest, gentle stretching, NSAIDs or Tylenol for pain. Cold t...
How can sleeping on my side cause neck pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
When you lie on your side, your top shoulder and arm will drop to the bed, pulling your shoulder bla...
I Wake up Each Morning with a Stiff Neck; What Can I Do?