How can I prevent neck pain when I stay still for a long time?

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine
A common complaint relates to neck pain caused by prolonged positioning, most often from using the computer or reading in bed. And while switching the weight in your legs and keeping the arch in your lower back are the easiest ways to deflect the mechanical lower back stress of prolonged positioning, the best way to deflect neck stress is through regular movement that won't require a change in your entire body position. Whenever your head and neck are going to be in one position for extended periods, it is essential to perform the gentle range of motion exercises two to three times an hour. If you know you are going to be at your workstation or reading in bed for a long time, every twenty to thirty minutes, you should stop and move your neck. The entire cycle of five repetitions in each direction will take less than a minute, and if you do the exercises regularly, they will probably prevent much of the tightness and uncomfortable stiffness of prolonged positioning from ever developing in the first place.
Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

How to Undo Neck Pain
How to Undo Neck Pain
In this age of computer keyboards and late-night Web surfing, you may be no stranger to neck pain. So here's what you do if you want it to get better:...
How can my car mirrors make driving easier if I have neck pain?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Adjust your mirrors to eliminate blind spots. If you find turning your head to check that blind ...
What can cause neck pain and headaches in women?
HCA Midwest HealthHCA Midwest Health
Neck pain and headaches in women have numerous causes. Some of the most common causes include migrai...
The Banana Stretch to Reduce Neck Pain
The Banana Stretch to Reduce Neck Pain