How can I relieve neck pain while sitting at a desk?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
People who have sedentary jobs that require long hours typing on computers often develop neck pain.

While sitting at your desk during the day, place a folded towel under your arm to prop up your elbow. This elevates your shoulder blade, unloading strain on the muscles connecting to your neck. Do this until your upper trapezius muscle (muscle located between shoulder and neck) is adequately retrained.
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
Pain in the neck is, well, a pain in the neck. And some two-thirds of us will suffer from it at some point, says orthopedic spine surgeon Samuel Cho, ...
What can I do if sitting all day at work makes my neck hurt?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
Finding the neutral S-curve of your spine is tough when sitting. In a chair, most people hunch their...
What causes chronic neck pain?
Steven Shoshany, DCSteven Shoshany, DC
Chronic neck pain can be overwhelming. In this video, chiropractor and pain management specialist St...
What Are Some Treatment Options for Neck Pain?