How can I relieve neck pain while sitting at a desk?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
People who have sedentary jobs that require long hours typing on computers often develop neck pain.

While sitting at your desk during the day, place a folded towel under your arm to prop up your elbow. This elevates your shoulder blade, unloading strain on the muscles connecting to your neck. Do this until your upper trapezius muscle (muscle located between shoulder and neck) is adequately retrained.
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

How to Undo Neck Pain
How to Undo Neck Pain
In this age of constant digital connection and late-night scrolling, you may be no stranger to neck pain. Beyond reducing your screen time, here's wha...
What are the risks of spinal steroid injections for neck pain?
Dr. Anthony L. Komaroff, MDDr. Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Spine injections with steroids can be helpful for a number of conditions, such as severe arthritis o...
What can cause neck pain and headaches?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Regardless of whether chronic pain has slowly crept into your life or it stems from a traumatic ...
How Can I Help Prevent Neck Pain?
How Can I Help Prevent Neck Pain?