How effective is surgery for neck pain?

Ryan Church, DNP
Nursing
Neck pain can be caused by a number of things, so specific advice regarding the value of surgery for neck pain is not possible. However, if you’ve done all the appropriate preliminary things that are designed to improve your quality of life, decrease your pain and help you avoid surgery, and you're still experiencing pain -- then surgery may be an option.

Neck surgery is one of the more successful orthopedic surgeries today. The recovery is a couple of months, depending on the type of procedure. Overall, neck surgery is usually very well tolerated and people do extremely well in most cases.

That being said, it can make your neck pain worse. Any time we cut the skin or do anything invasive, there's always a risk for trouble, including infection, difficultly with speaking, swelling and increased pain. There are a small percentage of people who say that their neck pain or arm pain is worse after neck surgery.

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
Pain in the neck is, well, a pain in the neck. And some two-thirds of us will suffer from it at some point, says orthopedic spine surgeon Samuel Cho, ...
How are neck and back pain treated?
Akash Bajaj, MDAkash Bajaj, MD
Neck and Back Pain are treated depending on the underlying pain generator. Most commonly, this may b...
What position should I sleep in if I have neck and back pain?
TriStar Summit Medical CenterTriStar Summit Medical Center
There is no one position that will be best for those will back pain. Some people with back problems ...
How Can I Help Prevent Neck Pain?
How Can I Help Prevent Neck Pain?