What types of neck injuries can affect the spinal cord?

Injuries to the bones or ligaments of the neck can affect the spinal cord. These include broken or dislocated vertebrae. The spinal cord itself can also be bruised when impact is made with the top of the head and the neck slightly bent.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What is the best way to brace a neck injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The best way to brace a neck injury that just happened is to stabilize it by holding either side...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...
Can neck injuries cause problems with breathing?
The patient may have trouble breathing if the neck injury is at the first through fifth vertebra...
How is a stinger injury diagnosed?
To diagnose a stinger injury, the athlete's strength and sense of touch are checked on both side...