What is torticollis (wryneck)?

Torticollis, also called wryneck, is a condition that causes short, tight neck muscles. Shortened neck muscles cause the head to tilt to one side, and usually cause the chin to turn inward and down, toward the opposite shoulder. This condition can be present at birth or develop in adults. In adults, it may develop due to damage to the nervous system, upper spine or muscles in the upper body. Symptoms include neck pain and stiffness, headaches, problems turning the head, and one shoulder that is higher than the other. Sometimes, torticollis can be treated with muscle stretching. Other possible treatments include neck braces, medications and injections, and surgery. Torticollis is not usually life-threatening, but should be diagnosed and treated by a doctor to avoid more serious problems.

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What can I do to help prevent neck injuries in football?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Collars can be added to shoulder pads to help prevent neck injuries, but they only decrease one ...
What increases my risk for whiplash?
Certain activities and events are more likely to strain your neck muscles and ligaments, which can r...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with whiplash?
You should be aware that whiplash is an injury to the neck and the person you are caring for will li...
If a person is unconscious, does that mean he has a neck injury?
Head and neck injuries are always assumed if a patient is unconscious. When this happens, the fi...