What is the best way to brace a neck injury?

The best way to brace a neck injury that just happened is to stabilize it by holding either side of the head. Once the neck is supported, the patient should be placed on a spine board. Soft and hard braces, called cervical collars, can be used once the doctor is sure there are no broken bones or nerve injuries.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...
Does poor posture increase the risk for neck injuries?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Poor posture may increase the risk of neck injury. Bad posture can cause some muscles to get sho...
If a person is unconscious, does that mean he has a neck injury?
Head and neck injuries are always assumed if a patient is unconscious. When this happens, the fi...
What are the treatment options for whiplash?
Over-the-counter pain medication, like acetaminophen, can usually relieve whiplash pain. Ice, heat, ...