What are the chances of recovery from whiplash?

Generally, chances of recovery for individuals with whiplash are good. The neck and head pain clears within a few days or weeks. Most patients recover within three months after the injury, however, some may continue to have residual neck pain and headaches.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

How is whiplash treated?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Treatment for whiplash includes rest and ice. Once the pain has subsided, exercises can improve neck...
Can whiplash be prevented?
Whiplash is often caused by unexpected stretching of the neck muscles and ligaments. While it is sim...
Should I remove a football player's equipment if he may have a neck injury?
Only the face mask should be removed when a football player is thought to have a neck injury. Ta...
If I suffer a neck injury during sports, am I likely to get injured again?
You may be more likely to hurt your neck again if you go back to play too soon. If poor playing ...