What do I need to know about caring for someone with whiplash?

You should be aware that whiplash is an injury to the neck and the person you are caring for will likely be in pain. While that pain is often centered in the neck, it can affect other muscle groups. Contact a doctor if the pain spreads beyond the neck, if moving the head is painful, if the person you are caring for feels numb in the arms, or if they need a stronger pain reliever.

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

Can neck injuries cause problems with breathing?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The patient may have trouble breathing if the neck injury is at the first through fifth vertebra...
How do medications treat whiplash?
Over-the-counter medication like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) relieve pain that is ...
What are the chances of recovery from whiplash?
Generally, chances of recovery for individuals with whiplash are good. The neck and head pain clears...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...