What is a naturopathic doctor?

Lisa  Samet, ND
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
An ND is someone who graduated from an accredited naturopathic college (there are about 7 in North Amercia) and has passed state or provincial licensing exams.  An ND has been trained in all the basic sciences as well as medical sciences (pathology, clinical diagnosis, physiology, etc) as well as the specialties that are unique to naturopathic medicine (homeopathy, acupuncture, herbs, nutrition, mind-body medicine, physical manipulation, hydrotherapy, etc) and are licensed on a by-state basis, where their scope of practice differs state to state.  For further info contact the CAND in Canada or the AANP in the US.
Sunita Mohan
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

I get this question all the time. Since I am a Homeopathic Doctor, I have a very simple answer, Naturopaths are like general practitioners, they use many therapies to deal with your health. They could use, herbs, homeopathy, nutrition or diet changes to help you reach your health goal. Homeopathy for example is a specialization of Naturopathy.

Dr. Peter Bongiorno, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Watch as Naturopathic Doctor and Licensed Acupuncturist Dr. Peter Bongiorno explains the difference between a naturopathic doctor and a more traditional medical doctor.

Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Naturopathic medicine is based on the belief that the human body has an innate healing ability. Naturopathic doctors (NDs) teach their patients to use diet, exercise, lifestyle changes and cutting edge natural therapies to enhance their bodies’ ability to ward off and combat disease. NDs view the patient as a complex, interrelated system (a whole person), not as a clogged artery or a tumor. Naturopathic physicians craft comprehensive treatment plans that blend the best of modern medical science and traditional natural medical approaches to not only treat disease, but to also restore health. (information taken from our national associations website of: www.naturopathic.org.)
Dr. John J. Connolly
Healthcare Insurance & Policy
Naturopathic Doctors are graduates of Naturopathic Medical Schools.  There are seven in the United States.  Naturopathic physicians are granted licenses in only 15 states and generally not given admitting privileges at hospitals.  Some naturopathic physicians are also M.D.s and D.O.s who practice Naturopathic Medicine which stresses a mixture of homeopathic practices and traditional medicine, as well as other treatment modalities.

Continue Learning about Naturopathy

Cure Your Cough with a Spoonful of Honey
If you told our Stone Age relatives to “mind your own beeswax,” they could have done just that, say researchers from the UK’s University of Bristol. T...
What are the risks of naturopathy?
You should be aware that naturopathy cannot substitute for conventional medical care. So be sure to ...
Should I stop seeing my family doctor if I go to a naturopath?
Dr. Christopher Maloney, NDDr. Christopher Maloney, ND
In the process of working with a Naturopathic Doctor, many patients find that their relationship to ...
What Are the Healthy Benefits of Coconut Oil?