What kind of medications do naturopaths prescribe?

Dr. Christopher Maloney, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

While it is generally true that N.D.s prefer alternative prescriptions, many have extensive drug prescribing ability.

The prescriptive authority of licensed N.D.s varies by state and province. In many states N.D.s can prescribe many of the same drugs as an M.D., as well as perform minor surgery, deliver children, or manage end of life care.

Be sure to check with your state's licensing board to find out what your N.D. is able to prescribe for you.

Naturopathy is about healing your body naturally. Naturopaths prefer to treat you with dietary changes, vitamin and mineral supplements, and herbal medicines. They will also suggest homeopathic remedies, which are derived from natural substances. Acupuncture, massage, and other forms of treatment are sometimes used in place of prescription drugs. They will suggest various lifestyle changes, such as exercise, rather than provide a chemical substance.

Continue Learning about Naturopathy

Cure Your Cough with a Spoonful of Honey
If you told our Stone Age relatives to “mind your own beeswax,” they could have done just that, say researchers from the UK’s University of Bristol. T...
Should I take my child to a naturopath?
Dr. Christopher Maloney, NDDr. Christopher Maloney, ND
If your child has any sort of chronic condition, then they may benefit from early lifestyle and nutr...
What are the risks of naturopathy?
You should be aware that naturopathy cannot substitute for conventional medical care. So be sure to ...
How Can I Treat a Muscle Strain?
How Can I Treat a Muscle Strain?