What are the risks of a colonic?

Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Gastroenterology
The downside of colonics (colonic irrigation or hydrotherapy) includes the possibility of complications, such as infection from improperly cleaned equipment, dehydration, cramps and pain during the procedure, disruption of the colon's unique and delicate bacterial environment, electrolyte imbalances, rare cases of heart failure from over-absorption of water, and even fatal perforation of the colon.

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

How can I detoxify my liver naturally?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
To detoxify your liver naturally, eating dandelion greens can be a huge help in establishing long-te...
Why is my body's well-being extremely important?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Since you are inseparable from your body, its well-being is extremely relevant. Those of you who ins...
What is the health mug model of well-being?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
The Health Mug model proposes that you are born with a certain capacity for health and well-bein...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?