How can herbal medicine treat sinusitis?

Alan Gaby

According to some older research, bromelain (an extract from pineapple stem) is of value in the treatment of sinusitis. Bromelain may work by improving drainage and enhancing access of antibacterial agents (such as antibodies, other components of the immune system, and antibiotics) to the site of the infection. The use of bromelain in the treatment of sinusitis is discussed further in my textbook, Nutritional Medicine (www.doctorgaby.com).

Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Family Medicine
Sinus infections are known to pretty much take care of themselves.  The key to improvement is to encourage good sinus drainage.  If the sinuses drain, antibiotics will not be needed.  In fact, the CDC now recommends against the treatment of acute sinusitis with antibiotics.  Herbal medicines like wasabi or eucalyptis improve sinus drainage and can hasten the resolution of sinusitis.

Continue Learning about Natural Wellness Techniques & Treatments

What are the steps to wellness?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
How to Get Well, by Paavo Airola, published in 1974 was one of the first books I read when I started...
Why can detoxification make me feel sick?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
When you eat a diet that is based on toxic and addictive foods -- such as salt, fried foods, sna...
What is the "SMART" approach to lifestyle changes?
Kenneth Johnson, NASM Elite TrainerKenneth Johnson, NASM Elite Trainer
The SMART approach focuses on the behavioral goals to get to the lifestyle outcome you desire, not o...
Is It Safe to Take Natural Remedies with Conventional Medications?