How can I prevent toenail or fingernail problems?

Practicing good hygiene and changing your habits may prevent certain causes of nail disorders. If you have diabetes, it is especially important to take care of your nails. Try to break the habits of biting, picking, or rubbing at your nails. Keep your nails clean and dry as often as possible. Trim nails in a straight line to prevent them from curving into your skin. Clip hangnails and bandage open cuts or tears in the nail that may allow infection into the nail area. You should make it a point to keep toenails trim; this reduces the chance for injury.

Get rid of shoes that are too tight or constricting to decrease ingrown toenails and spread of fungus among toes. Wear shower shoes in public pools and locker rooms to decrease your risk of coming in contact with fungi and bacteria. To prevent peeling and brittle nails, don't use nail polish and regularly apply a lotion with vitamins to promote healthy nails and cuticles.

Continue Learning about Nail Disorders

What are nail disorders?
Nail disorders are conditions that affect the color, size, shape, thickness, and texture of toe- or ...
Should I tell my child's school about their nail disorder?
Most nail disorders in children do not need to be reported to your child's school. You may want to s...
The Ugly Side of Manicures
The Ugly Side of Manicures
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?