Why was quinine banned for use for leg cramping?

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) decided that because leg cramping was more of an annoyance than a life-threatening illness - and that taking quinine for leg cramping could prove fatal - that the risk clearly outweighed the benefits. The FDA then banned quinine for any use except for malaria treatment.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

What should I know about baclofen before taking it?
If you take baclofen, you should avoid alcohol. If you have impaired kidney function, baclofen may ...
What are the side effects of leflunomide?
Side effects may include high blood pressure, dizziness, hair loss, respiratory tract infections, br...
What should I know about leflunomide before taking it?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests, check your liver function and blood pressure, and give you ...
What is teriflunomide?
Teriflunomide (Aubagio) is a disease-modifying drug for relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (MS)....