What should I know about azathioprine before taking it?

You should know that azathioprine may increase your risk of developing cancer. It can also decrease the fertility of both men and women. In addition, azathioprine is dangerous to both fetuses and nursing babies, and should not be taken by women who are pregnant or may become pregnant or who are breastfeeding. Because azathioprine lowers your immunity, you must be very careful while on the drug to avoid any source of infection and be attentive to any signs of illness. Do not get a "live" vaccine while taking the drug. You can discuss your concerns about any of these issues with your doctor before taking azathioprine.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

How effective is leflunomide?
Studies show that leflunomide is effective for treating RA, both by itself and combined with methotr...
What are the side effects of cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
Side effects may include drowsiness, dizziness, fatigue, headaches, and dry mouth. Cyclobenzaprine c...
What are the side effects of leflunomide?
Side effects may include high blood pressure, dizziness, hair loss, respiratory tract infections, br...
What should I know before taking teriflunomide?
Your doctor will need to do liver function tests and check your blood pressure before you start trea...