What should I know about azathioprine before taking it?

You should know that azathioprine may increase your risk of developing cancer. It can also decrease the fertility of both men and women. In addition, azathioprine is dangerous to both fetuses and nursing babies, and should not be taken by women who are pregnant or may become pregnant or who are breastfeeding. Because azathioprine lowers your immunity, you must be very careful while on the drug to avoid any source of infection and be attentive to any signs of illness. Do not get a "live" vaccine while taking the drug. You can discuss your concerns about any of these issues with your doctor before taking azathioprine.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

What should I know about baclofen before taking it?
If you take baclofen, you should avoid alcohol. If you have impaired kidney function, baclofen may ...
How does baclofen interact with other medications?
If you are using azelastine nasal spray, paraldehyde, orphenadrine, or thalidomide, baclofen can lea...
What are the side effects of cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
Side effects may include drowsiness, dizziness, fatigue, headaches, and dry mouth. Cyclobenzaprine c...
What is cyclobenzaprine?
Cyclobenzaprine (Amrix) is a muscle relaxer. It is FDA-approved to treat muscle spasms and pain caus...