How do I locate a muscle spasm in my back?

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine
You can locate muscle spasm in your upper and lower back by lying on your stomach and having someone apply light to moderate finger pressure over the general area. If this very light pressure causes significant and stabbing pain, then you are probably still in the acute phase, and you should not proceed. In most cases of upper or lower back pain that are at least four days past an acute injury, the light contact will usually feel soothing and produce a gentle easing of the tightness and pressure. Have the person slowly keep moving around the area until you suddenly feel a very localized sharp or stabbing sensation. That means you've found your spasm. Muscle spasms in the back will feel like a rope or perhaps a small marble embedded in softer tissue. If you're having trouble finding the spot, have your helper slowly increase the amount of pressure being applied. Don't be afraid. You won't cause additional injury or trauma.
Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Muscle Spasm

Are there exercises I can do to relieve leg muscle spasms?
Leg muscle spasms during activity or at night are most commonly caused by a deficiency in electroly...
How can I prevent a charley horse?
A charley horse is nothing more than a muscle spasm that, while quick and harmless, can still be...
What Causes Muscle Spasms?
What Causes Muscle Spasms?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?