Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?

The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower portion of the ankle and the outside of the leg are affected. If the outside of the leg is sore after the ankle has been rolled, it is possible that the muscle has been over-stretched or even strained. The muscles most commonly affected are the peroneus longus and peroneus brevis. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

How can I prevent ACL injuries?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
There are several ways in which an athlete may reduce the risk of having an anterior cruciate ligame...
How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your kne...
What is ACL reconstruction surgery?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
An ACL reconstruction is a surgical replacement of the torn ACL.
What is an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear?
The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is a ligament inside your knee that keeps your knee and shinbon...