Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?

The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower portion of the ankle and the outside of the leg are affected. If the outside of the leg is sore after the ankle has been rolled, it is possible that the muscle has been over-stretched or even strained. The muscles most commonly affected are the peroneus longus and peroneus brevis. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

How can knee ligaments be repaired?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
Knee ligament reconstruction replaces a torn ligament in the knee, with ACL reconstruction falling i...
How difficult are ACL repairs?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
ACL repairs are a very common procedure, but it’s best to find a surgeon who frequently performs the...
What are knee ligament injuries?
Scott D. Martin, MDScott D. Martin, MD
Each year, approximately 200,000 people in the United States injure their anterior cruciate liga...
What is an Achilles tendon rupture?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
The Achilles tendon connects the calf muscles to the heel bone. A rupture of the tendon means the te...