What kind of exercises can I do for an ACL injury?

If you have and ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) injury, you should perform a combination of flexibility and strengthening techniques to help your body heal and prevent further injury. Begin by foam rolling your calves and IT-band. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage that can help relax tight muscles before you stretch them. Hold the tender spots for 30 seconds to allow your muscle time to relax and release the knots that are causing tension in the muscle. After you have completed the foam rolling, statically stretch your calves and hip flexor complex. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds so that your muscles have time to elongate. Next, perform strengthening exercises for the foot, ankle, and hip. Single-leg calf raises will help strengthen the muscles that support your foot and ankle. Perform ball bridges to strengthen the muscles in your hips that help control your foot and ankle. Lastly, perform a single-leg balance exercise to strengthen the muscles of the entire leg. When performing any single-leg exercise, ensure that you keep the arch of your foot lifted while performing the exercise. Perform 1-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions of each of these exercises.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What are the symptoms of an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the kne...
How do I know if I have injured my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)?
What should I expect after having ACL surgery?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
After ACL surgery, expect many weeks of limited movement and six months before engaging in sport-rel...
How can I prevent ACL injuries?
There are several ways in which an athlete may reduce the risk of having an anterior cruciate ligame...