Can repetitive stress injuries be prevented?

Repetitive stress injuries can be prevented by cross training. Repetitive motion or repetitive activity over time can lead to stress fractures, tendonitis and other more serious overuse injuries. There are ways to incorporate other activities and exercise the body without doing the same things over and over again. For example:

• Use Pilates and yoga to give the body a rest, but, at the same time, give it an active recovery.
  • Get in the pool.
  • Use the bike instead of running all the time.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

To help prevent repetitive stress injuries related to computers or gaming, ensure that your chair and keyboard are at the appropriate level and that you sit properly. To help prevent repetitive stress injuries related to sports, ensure that you stretch before and after exercising and that your shoes and sporting equipment are sized to fit you properly. Try to vary your exercise routine as opposed to repeating the same routine daily. Take frequent breaks from any repetitive activity, particularly for the types of jobs that may put stress on a particular body part, like scanning groceries. Ensuring that you maintain proper nutrition so that your bones and muscles can continue to be strong and resistant to repetitive stress injuries is also essential.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...
What is an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is a ligament inside your knee that keeps your knee and shinbon...
What is an ACL?
Englewood Community HospitalEnglewood Community Hospital
The ACL is in the front aspect of the knee and helps with coordination and the pivoting or rotationa...
How do I know if I have injured my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)?
An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the kne...