Why should I consider horseback riding if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Both the shape of the horse's back and the horse's movements make it ideal for multiple sclerosis (MS) therapy. Sitting on the horse can stretch hip joints and reduce pain and spasticity in leg muscles. The horse's pelvis moves like a human pelvis - up and down, back and forth and side to side. Therefore, the movement of the horse simulates the way we walk. While riding, the movement of the rider's hips can increase limberness and muscle tone in the legs.

Riding can also improve coordination, balance, and posture, as well as strengthen core and leg muscles. Learning a new skill can build self esteem, create a sense of well-being, and improve self-control. Another positive element is the social interaction among other riders and between the rider and the horse.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis and MS Therapies
Multiple sclerosis is a progressive disease that requires ongoing treatment. Watch neurologist Doug Stuart, MD, from the MS Center of Atlanta, explain...
How are paroxysmal symptoms in multiple sclerosis (MS) treated?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Treatment for paroxysms in multiple sclerosis (MS) depends on whether or not they interfere signific...
What should I tell my doctor before I'm prescribed Aubagio for my MS?
Aubagio (teriflunomide) is a once-daily, oral therapy for relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. If...
How Can My Diet Worsen Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?