Why should I consider horseback riding if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Both the shape of the horse's back and the horse's movements make it ideal for multiple sclerosis (MS) therapy. Sitting on the horse can stretch hip joints and reduce pain and spasticity in leg muscles. The horse's pelvis moves like a human pelvis - up and down, back and forth and side to side. Therefore, the movement of the horse simulates the way we walk. While riding, the movement of the rider's hips can increase limberness and muscle tone in the legs.

Riding can also improve coordination, balance, and posture, as well as strengthen core and leg muscles. Learning a new skill can build self esteem, create a sense of well-being, and improve self-control. Another positive element is the social interaction among other riders and between the rider and the horse.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

FDA Approves First Drug for Severe Form of Multiple Sclerosis
Last week the FDA approved the drug Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) to treat adults with severe forms of multiple sclerosis (MS), a disabling disease in which t...
Does dimethyl fumarate have any side effects?
Side effects may include flushing, upper abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. These tend ...
How are reflexes examined for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Deep tendon reflexes (DTRs) are the involuntary jerks normally produced at certain spots on the limb...
What Vaccines and Preventive Care Should I Get If I Have MS?