How do medications treat benign multiple sclerosis?

For the most part, the medications used to treat benign multiple sclerosis (MS) are the same as those used for any other type of MS. Some of these medications reduce inflammation while others target specific symptoms. Unfortunately, some of these medications may not be necessary to treat benign MS but there's no way of knowing whether you have a more serious type of MS until you've gone well over a decade without developing a severe physical disability. Here is a list of common medications used to treat multiple sclerosis:

• Copaxone (Glatiramer) when injected daily may block attacks against myelin.
  • Corticosteroids, such as prednisone, work to reduce swelling that occurs during attack periods, or relapses.
  • Interferons work to slow MS symptoms that can get worse with time.
  • Tysabri aims to stop bad immune cells from reaching your brain or spinal cord. It puts you at risk for serious a brain infection though, so it is generally only used when no other treatments are effective.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

FDA Approves First Drug for Severe Form of Multiple Sclerosis
Last week the FDA approved the drug Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) to treat adults with severe forms of multiple sclerosis (MS), a disabling disease in which t...
Does Padma 28 help in reducing the severity of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
There has been limited research, although one clinical study of a hundred people with multiple scler...
Will treatment of the immune system help reduce severity of MS?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
The most exciting area in multiple sclerosis (MS) therapy today is the immune system. The evidence f...
What Do My Eyes Reveal About My Multiple Sclerosis?