How are cognitive changes due to multiple sclerosis treated?

If you or your loved one is experiencing any of the speech and/or cognitive communication disorders due to multiple sclerosis (MS), consulting with a licensed speech language pathologist (SLP) with experience treating neurological populations is a great way to investigate any concerns.

Though speech evaluations can slightly vary, the process typically consists of collecting a case history, assessing memory and word finding skills, taking measurements of your vocal volume, measuring the amount of air in your lungs and determining the speed and accuracy of your speech musculature.

Data collected is then compared to individuals of a similar age and gender in order to determine the degree of deficit.

There are several very effective treatments that can dramatically improve memory, aphasia, dysarthria and voice disorders associated with MS. Speech and cognitive linguistic therapy typically involves attending a series of individual sessions either in person or via telehealth (a.k.a. Skype therapy). If you are unable to find a qualified SLP with experience treating individuals with MS in your area or if it is too challenging to leave your home, consider utilizing telehealth as a treatment modality. Telehealth allows people to have access to high-quality and specialized care regardless of location and/or proximity to MS treatment centers.

If you or a loved one is experiencing speech changes associated with MS, it may be frustrating. But remember, stay positive! Don’t let changes in your speech and communication withdraw you from the conversation. You are important and what you have to say is valuable!

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

FDA Approves First Drug for Severe Form of Multiple Sclerosis
Last week the FDA approved the drug Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) to treat adults with severe forms of multiple sclerosis (MS), a disabling disease in which t...
How can I get a fever down if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Many people with multiple sclerosis (MS) experience temperature sensitivity. A change in core body t...
What are the benefits of using an auto-injector to give myself an MS shot?
If you need to give yourself injections and seeing the needle bothers you, you might consider using ...
Is Depression a Common Symptom or Co-Condition of Multiple Sclerosis?