How can I relieve constipation from multiple sclerosis (MS)?

MSF ADMIN
Administration Specialist

Constipation is by far the most common issue in both the general population and people with multiple sclerosis (MS). As one ages, the motility in the intestines is slowed down, with decreased contractions and a reduced ability to absorb certain vitamins and minerals, as well as a reduced tolerance of certain foods. Constipation can be exacerbated by the lack of mobility, weak abdominal muscles and inadequate hydration (although hydration must be balanced with bladder issues, and finding a balance can be challenging).

Certain medications can also cause constipation, including narcotics, iron, calcium, antidepressants, and anticholinergic agents. Constipation can also be related to other medical causes such as hypothyroidism, colon cancer and diverticular disease. 

It also is important to gently accustom your body to a healthy bowel routine. Drink at least eight glasses of water every day. Eat high fiber foods and avoid foods that contain a lot of fat. Exercise is also helpful; check with your doctor first to see what level of activity they recommend.

If those methods fail to help, you may need to consult a gastroenterologist, a doctor who specializes in problems of the stomach and intestine, among other areas.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
Even if you’ve been living with MS for several years, it can still be stressful. In this video, integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary offers h...
What types of transient attacks are common for someone with MS?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Tonic SeizuresThere is a rare phenomenon in multiple sclerosis (MS) called the tonic seizure, which ...
How common are speech and voice disorders in people with MS?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
The body of research investigating physical and sensory disorders in individuals with multiple scler...
Will I Die from Multiple Sclerosis?
Will I Die from Multiple Sclerosis?