Does everyone develop the same multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms?

Louis Rosner
Neurology
As you read the list of multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms and signs, do not be dismayed. Keep in mind that no two patients have the same symptoms in the same way. MS attacks fall into four patterns that simplify the description of the disorder. Most attacks will have the features of only one of these patterns - the spinal cord attack, the brain stem-cerebellar attack, the optic nerve attack, or the cerebral attack. No one develops all these symptoms; most people will have only six or seven symptoms throughout the course of the disease. And take comfort in knowing that each and every symptom can remit completely, leaving no residual damage. Dramatic recoveries occur from even the worst attacks. Many of the symptoms described may have a simple explanation other than MS. Numbness, tingling, weakness, stiffness, urinary frequency, unsteadiness, incoordination, slurred speech, and blurred vision may each be due to some other disturbance, including some that are insignificant. Do not assume that every new symptom is a symptom of MS - let the doctor decide.
Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
Even if you’ve been living with MS for several years, it can still be stressful. In this video, integrative neurologist Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary offers h...
What will happen if I have older age of onset of MS symptoms?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
L. S., a seventy-four-year-old male dentist, had a relapsing-remitting course for the first four yea...
What are the cognitive symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
The most common cognitive (thinking and knowing) complaint associated with multiple sclerosis (MS) i...
What Can I Do to Sleep Better?
What Can I Do to Sleep Better?