What research remains to be done for multiple sclerosis (MS)?

The role of genetic risk factors, and how they can be modified, must be more clearly defined. Environmental triggers, such as viruses or toxins, need to be investigated further. The specific cellular and subcellular targets of immune attack in the brain and spinal cord, and the subsets of T cells involved in that attack, need to be identified. Knowledge of these aspects of the disease will enable scientists to develop new methods of halting-or reversing and repairing?the destruction of myelin that causes the symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS).

This answer is based on source information from National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Research & Innovations

What research is being done for relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Positive topline results have been reported from CONFIRM, the second of two pivotal phase III clinic...
How have scientists approached the study of MS in more modern times?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
The focus of much multiple sclerosis (MS) research has been in the area of epidemiology - the study ...
What Does Science Say About Food/Diet and Managing MS?
What Do My Eyes Reveal About My Multiple Sclerosis?