What research remains to be done for multiple sclerosis (MS)?

The role of genetic risk factors, and how they can be modified, must be more clearly defined. Environmental triggers, such as viruses or toxins, need to be investigated further. The specific cellular and subcellular targets of immune attack in the brain and spinal cord, and the subsets of T cells involved in that attack, need to be identified. Knowledge of these aspects of the disease will enable scientists to develop new methods of halting-or reversing and repairing?the destruction of myelin that causes the symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS).

This answer is based on source information from National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Research & Innovations

What is the National American Research Committee on MS Registry?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Developed by the Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC), the National American Research Com...
Have scientists been able to discover the multiple sclerosis (MS) virus?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
There are three ways a "multiple sclerosis (MS) virus" could trigger the immune system response: (1)...
What Affect Will Pregnancy Have on My Multiple Sclerosis?
Which Stress Relievers Work for Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?