What is meant by a spontaneous cure in multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Louis Rosner
Neurology

Some patients will have several severe attacks in the first five years, casting an ominous shadow over the future. But then the disease will stop spontaneously, there will be no more attacks, and the patient will return to normal or near normal. It's as if the disease just burned itself out.

Dramatic recoveries have occurred in patients with seemingly severe damage. It is these "miracles" that lead to claims for various treatments from quack cures to faith healing.

One of the most incredible turnarounds I personally observed was in a patient who at age thirty-eight had a devastating attack. She went into a convulsion and was left in a state of stupor - unable to talk, walk, or use her arms or legs at all. She was blind, had severely slurred speech, and could not swallow or even stay awake. Unable to care for herself at home, she was hospitalized. Since she did not respond to standard treatment, her prognosis was very gloomy. In fact, it appeared that she would never recover. Incredibly, however, she made a slow improvement in the hospital and eventually returned completely to normal. Her recovery was not due to treatment but apparently due to some body defense system. And for the next twelve years, her multiple sclerosis (MS) continued on a mild relapsing-remitting course.

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

What Should My Care Partner Know About RRMS?
Being diagnosed with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, or RRMS, can affect your entire family. In this video, Mitzi Joi Williams, MD, explains t...
Do people with multiple sclerosis (MS) qualify for Medicare?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Medicare is the national health insurance program to which all Social Security recipients, who are e...
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Restore energy and help ease symptoms with these eats.
What Vaccines and Preventive Care Should I Get If I Have MS?