Is multiple sclerosis contagious?

Louis Rosner
Neurology
Most likely, multiple sclerosis (MS) is not transmitted from human to human. If it were, the number of cases would have reached outrageously epidemic proportions. The low incidence of MS among married couples establishes that it is definitely not transmitted from adult to adult. But can it be transmitted from human to human during the vulnerable years? There is very strong evidence against this theory, but like many theories in MS research, it has not been absolutely ruled out.
Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Multiple sclerosis, or MS, is not thought to be contagious. While you are more likely to develop the disease if you have family members who have it, being around someone with MS does not put you at risk of contracting the disease. Talk to your doctor about possible risk factors for the disease.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

RRMS: Understanding the Most Common Form of MS
Relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) is the most common form of multiple sclerosis, a disease where an inflammatory immune response damages t...
How do I react if my loved one has not told me about their MS earlier?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Instead of getting angry that you weren't told sooner, ask yourself why you were told now. Does the ...
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Restore energy and help ease symptoms with these eats.
How Can Exercise Help Me Manage Multiple Sclerosis?