Can a psychological problem be misdiagnosed as multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Louis Rosner
Neurology
Just as multiple sclerosis (MS) can be misdiagnosed as a psychological problem, a psychological problem can also be misdiagnosed as MS. Symptoms such as dizziness, fatigue, numbness, tingling, weakness, and loss of balance can be purely "hysterical." In fact, it is not uncommon to see a patient with MS and hysterical symptoms. A patient with a definite MS diagnosis might develop significant problems that are completely psychological and unrelated to the actual disease. A basic rule, however, is never to assume that a new complaint is another manifestation of MS. A new complaint could be psychological or due to another cause.
Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Sharing Your MS Diagnosis
Sharing Your MS Diagnosis
A diagnosis of multiple sclerosis comes with a number of questions. For many patients, one of those questions is who to tell about the diagnosis and h...
How do I react if my loved one has not told me about their MS earlier?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Instead of getting angry that you weren't told sooner, ask yourself why you were told now. Does the ...
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Restore energy and help ease symptoms with these eats.
What Vaccines and Preventive Care Should I Get If I Have MS?