What cases require a myelogram test for the diagnosis of MS?

Louis Rosner
Neurology
In the past, when signs or symptoms were confined to the spinal cord and no dramatic remission occurred, it was frequently necessary to do a myelogram to rule out any compression of the spinal cord by, for example, a disc or tumor. In this test, dye is injected into the spinal fluid and an X-ray is taken. With the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), this test is needed much less often.
Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Diagnosis

Getting an MS Diagnosis
Getting an MS Diagnosis
Being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis can be overwhelming. In this video, MS patient Eliz Martin shares the story of her diagnosis, how she stays co...
When does a doctor suggest laboratory tests for the diagnosis of MS?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Laboratory tests are performed to exclude other diseases such as lupus and Sjogren's syndrome which ...
Should I stop working if I've been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Approximately 60% of individuals with multiple sclerosis (MS) are working when they receive the diag...
How Is Multiple Sclerosis Diagnosed?
How Is Multiple Sclerosis Diagnosed?