What are the chances of my child getting multiple sclerosis if I have it?

The risk of your child developing multiple sclerosis (MS), although higher than the general population, still remains low. "While there is some increase in the risk to children who have a parent with the disease, the actual risk is small (95 to 97 percent chance that MS will not occur). At the present time there is no way to diagnose MS or assess the MS risk in a particular infant before or after birth," asserts Dr. Rosalind Kalb, Ph.D., author of Multiple Sclerosis: The Questions You Have -- The Answers You Need.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Causes & Risk Factors

What are risk factors for multiple sclerosis (MS) in African Americans?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
The high incidence of multiple sclerosis (MS) in African Americans may partially be due to environme...
Can dental fillings cause worsen multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Marc M. Gottlieb, DDSMarc M. Gottlieb, DDS
Once a patient gets over the shock of being diagnosed with MS they then start looking for a possible...
Why Does Multiple Sclerosis Affect Sexual Function?
What Is the Difference Between Relapsing-Remitting and Progressive MS?