What are the chances of my child getting multiple sclerosis if I have it?

The risk of your child developing multiple sclerosis (MS), although higher than the general population, still remains low. "While there is some increase in the risk to children who have a parent with the disease, the actual risk is small (95 to 97 percent chance that MS will not occur). At the present time there is no way to diagnose MS or assess the MS risk in a particular infant before or after birth," asserts Dr. Rosalind Kalb, Ph.D., author of Multiple Sclerosis: The Questions You Have -- The Answers You Need.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Causes & Risk Factors

What increases my risk for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
According to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, more than 2.1 million people have multiple scl...
What is the impact of surgery and anesthesia on someone with MS?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Since the two go hand in hand, it is difficult for researchers to distinguish the effects of surgery...
What New Drug Therapies Treat Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?
What Do My Eyes Reveal About My Multiple Sclerosis?