Why is MRSA an antibiotic resistant infection?

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is resistant to methicillin (a broad-spectrum antibiotic), because it has a functioning gene (the mecA gene). This gene codes for substances that protect the bacteria from the effects of the antibiotic. In addition, studies have shown that often, MRSA are also resistant to a number of other commonly used antibiotics. This is what makes MRSA infections so difficult to treat. Antibiotic susceptibility of MRSA can be and should be determined in the laboratory as soon as the bacteria are identified as a S. aureus.  Dr. G.

Continue Learning about MRSA

When was methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) discovered?
General staph infections were first identified in the 1880s. At that point, the distinctive symptoms...
How can MRSA affect me and my new baby?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, germs can affect you in two ways: Active inf...
Don’t Let Childhood Cuts Turn into a MRSA Infection
What Is MRSA?
What Is MRSA?