Why is MRSA an antibiotic resistant infection?

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is resistant to methicillin (a broad-spectrum antibiotic), because it has a functioning gene (the mecA gene). This gene codes for substances that protect the bacteria from the effects of the antibiotic. In addition, studies have shown that often, MRSA are also resistant to a number of other commonly used antibiotics. This is what makes MRSA infections so difficult to treat. Antibiotic susceptibility of MRSA can be and should be determined in the laboratory as soon as the bacteria are identified as a S. aureus.  Dr. G.

Continue Learning about MRSA

If I have MRSA, can I breastfeed my baby?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Mother’s milk is the best food for babies. MRSA, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, does...
How can my having MRSA affect my new baby while we are in the hospital?
If you are colonized or infected with MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, health...
How Is MRSA Transmitted?
How Is MRSA Transmitted?
Don’t Let Childhood Cuts Turn into a MRSA Infection