What should I tell my doctor before getting a cardiac stress MRI test?

Tell your doctor about anything implanted in your body and about any surgeries or procedures you've had. This will help your doctor decide whether a cardiac stress magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is right for you. An MRI test uses a powerful magnet, so surgical implants can interfere with the test or cause serious injury. Implants that can cause problems include, but are not limited to:
  • inner ear implants
  • pacemakers or implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs)
  • some types of brain aneurysm clips
  • nerve stimulators
With rare exceptions, people with implanted devices such as these should not have an MRI. Your doctor will tell you if an MRI test can be used in your case.

Tell your doctor about medications you are taking, including over-the-counter drugs and herbal supplements. Also tell your doctor if you are allergic to any medication.

Tell your doctor about any symptoms you have during exercise, such as heart rhythm problems, nausea, chest pain, or breathing problems.

Tell your doctor if you feel anxious in enclosed places. Depending on the type of MRI machine used for the test, your doctor may prescribe or give you a sedative beforehand to relax you.

Continue Learning about Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

What would my doctor use a prostate MRI for?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) aids in evaluation of the prostate in up to four different ways: an...
What happens before a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The following are the things you need to know before a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) -- a dia...
What is an MRI of the spine?
An MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan of the spine is a procedure that creates pictures of the sp...
What to Expect From an MRI
What to Expect From an MRI