What are the benefits of listening to music during an MRI test?

Listening to music during a a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) test can help people feel more comfortable and distract them from the noises that occur during this test. Music can often also ease the symptoms of claustrophobia that can occur during this test.
Music makes time seem to pass more quickly and enjoyably for people who are having an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) test. An MRI test can take a long time. You have to lie very still for 30 to 60 minutes, often inside the machine's tube. Many centers give you headphones during the test so you can listen to music while it's being done. The music also serves an important health function by lowering stress and reducing anxiety.

Continue Learning about Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

Why can't I have any metal on my body during an MRI?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
MRIs work by using very strong magnets and some metals can interfere with the magnets, making the im...
What are alternatives to cardiac stress magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Alternatives to cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) depend on your situation and the inform...
What is a shoulder MRI scan?
A shoulder MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan is a procedure that creates pictures of the interna...
What to Expect From an MRI
What to Expect From an MRI