How are MRIs used to diagnose hip and knee problems?

Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgery

Magnetic resonance imaging uses a strong magnet and radio waves to evaluate cartilage, soft tissues, and bone marrow. MRI is more expensive than computed tomography (CT) or standard x-rays, but it's the most accurate way to detect ligament damage, cartilage damage from arthritis, or tears in the cartilage or meniscus. A technique in which gadolinium (a metal dye) is injected into the hip joint before an MRI is highly accurate in detecting labral problems, such as labral tears. MRI is also used to evaluate a possible pelvic fracture, tumor, or lesions around the pelvis and hip.

During the exam, which lasts about 45 minutes, you lie on a scanning table that slowly moves you through the machine. (Many centers have smaller MRI machines that can focus on specific body parts, so if you're having your knee done you may only need to insert your knee.) For a hip exam, your feet may be taped together to keep your hips in the desired position. For a knee exam, a wedge may keep your knees at the desired angle. In some cases, the radiologist may inject a dye to obtain better images. You cannot have an MRI if you have a pacemaker, aneurysm clips, or certain other metal implants.

Continue Learning about Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

Why can't I have any metal on my body during an MRI?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
MRIs work by using very strong magnets and some metals can interfere with the magnets, making the im...
What problems might I experience during an MRI?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) can make some people feel uncomfortable and claustrophobic because ...
What happens before a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The following are the things you need to know before a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) -- a dia...
What to Expect From an MRI
What to Expect From an MRI