How could a cardiac MRI scan help my doctor diagnose a cardiac condition?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
An MRI scan of your heart could, in theory, help your doctor decide if you are a good candidate for an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) or for a procedure called pulmonary vein isolation that can help halt atrial fibrillation.

A cardiac MRI is painless, and doesn't expose you to any radiation. But it can be a bit of a hassle, and it takes time. I suggest that you ask your doctor why he thinks you need a cardiac MRI and what you would get out of it.

Continue Learning about Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

What can affect magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)?
Several things can affect the accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and/or the safety of havi...
What is an abdominal MRI scan?
Dr. John C. Lipman, MDDr. John C. Lipman, MD
MRI stands for magnetic resonance imaging. This is an imaging tool that healthcare providers use to ...
What should I expect during cardiac magnetic resonance imaging?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Depending on what the doctor is looking for, a cardiac stress magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) test ...
What to Expect From an MRI
What to Expect From an MRI