How does a functional magnetic resonance imaging scan work?

The technology for a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scan is based on the same kind that is used for an MRI. Both are noninvasive tests that use a strong magnetic field and radio waves to achieve detailed images of the body.

However, instead of looking at organs and tissues, like MRIs, the fMRI looks at how the blood is flowing in the brain, to pinpoint areas of activity.

By examining these changes in blood flow, doctors can get a better idea of how the brain works.

Continue Learning about Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

What do I need to know about MRI scans for my baby in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) uses a large magnet, radio frequencies, and a computer to create hi...
What is a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the head and neck?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
A head MRI uses radio waves and a powerful magnet to gather accurate information about the brain and...
What is magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a diagnostic procedure that uses a combination of a large magnet...
What to Expect From an MRI
What to Expect From an MRI