What is orthognathic surgery?

Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Orthognathic surgery is essentially corrective jaw surgery that is performed by an oral surgeon, in conjunction with your orthodontist. Some patients have jaw conditions that not only leave them feeling less confident about what they see in the mirror, but it impacts their life in other areas as well. What many of these people don’t realize is that there are treatments that can be performed by an orthodontist that can correct these conditions. Many people have taken advantage of the science to address a variety of jaw alignment issues.

Through orthognathic surgery, the doctor repositions the teeth and facial bones and works to give the face a more balanced look. The surgery is typically performed in the hospital, with the length of stay varying, depending upon such factors as the doctor, patient age, etc. Some doctors perform the surgery as an out patient procedure. The patient undergoing the surgery is given a general anesthesia. There is no noticeable scarring from the surgery, as the incision is made inside the mouth.

Continue Learning about Mouth-Body Connection

6 Surprising Reasons to Take Care of Your Gums
Your smile may reveal some important clues about your overall health. Research suggests that gum disease may be a risk factor for a variety of health ...
How do I learn more about osteoporosis medications and oral health?
Some research suggests that certain osteoporosis drugs, called bisphosphonates, may lead to death of...
How is the health of my mouth connected to the rest of my body?
Your oral hygiene reveals a lot about your overall health. People with good oral health tend to ...
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?