What can my teeth tell me about my health?

Your teeth and mouth in general are a mirror of what is going on in the body overall and a healthy mouth is reflective of total body wellness. Inflammed gums, worn down teeth, dry mouth, bad breath, ulcers and swelling can be warning sign of sytemic problems including diabetes, heart disease, digestive and adrenal disorders and even cancer. 
RealAge
Allergy
Your teeth and gums are a window into your health. Some diseases such as diabetes and HIV/AIDS first show up as dental symptoms. Bulimia, an eating disorder that involves induced vomiting, can wear away tooth enamel. Teeth that are ground down are an indication that you may be grinding your teeth, often at night, and that can be a stress symptom. Perhaps the most significant connection is between serious gum disease, called periodontitis, and chronic illnesses including heart disease, stroke, and bacterial pneumonia. Also, pregnant women with periodontitis are at increased risk of having a baby born prematurely (too soon). 

Your teeth, in addition to helping with a wide range of tasks and with chewing, are also a very clear marker of your health. If your gums are inflamed, your teeth are falling out, or your teeth are getting ground like fresh pepper from wear and tear, then those problems can affect and reflect the health and wellbeing of your entire body.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...
Your teeth are the window to your body and can actually say a lot about your overall health. It can show signs of nutritional deficiencies or general infection. Systemic diseases, those that affect the entire body, may first become apparent because of mouth lesions or other oral problems.

Oral health touches every aspect of our lives but is often taken for granted. Be sure to practice good oral health to help your overall health.

Continue Learning about Mouth-Body Connection

Mouth-Body Connection

Mouth-Body Connection

Oral hygiene is directly connected to overall health, both reflecting and affecting it. Poor oral hygiene can lead to caries, halitosis, abscess and heart disease, and bacteria in your mouth can travel to the rest of your body and ...

cause serious complications.