Could my oral health issues be a sign of something more serious?

Systemic diseases, those that affect the entire body, may first become apparent because of mouth lesions or other oral problems. It can show signs of nutritional deficiencies or general infection. Your mouth is a window into the health of your body.

Yes, there is a connection with oral health and overall health. It is very important to take good care of your oral health, because a lack of this can lead to other systemic problems. However, an unhealthy mouth can also give us signs that something more serious is going on. Painful oral ulcers can be a sign of an underlying systemic viral infection, such as HIV. Another example is oral yeast infection, making us wonder about an immune deficiency. Or, tooth loss may be a sign of osteoporosis. It is important to pay attention to your oral health, but also try to prevent problems with good oral hygiene.
If you are constantly battling oral health issues, they could be an indication of a much more serious health concern. Conditions like diabetes and AIDS often leave your mouth more susceptible to bacterial and viral infections. Similarly, there is some evidence to suggest that cardiovascular disease may increase your risk of gum disease. Other medical conditions may also have oral consequences. If you are experiencing oral health problems, contact your dentist immediately for proper diagnosis and treatment. If he or she thinks your oral health issues are indicative of a more serious health concern, he will refer you to a specialist for a medical diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Mouth-Body Connection

6 Surprising Reasons to Take Care of Your Gums
Your smile may reveal some important clues about your overall health. Research suggests that gum disease may be a risk factor for a variety of health ...
Does my dentist need to be told I have an eating disorder?
Your dentist should be told you an eating disorder. Eating disorders can cause widespread damage to ...
What can I expect from orthognathic surgery?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Prior to getting the orthognathic surgery, patients are fitted with braces. The step of getting ...
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?