Can I use a moisturizer that contains oat protein if I'm allergic to oats?

If you have a known allergy to oats, you'll want to play it safe and steer clear of skin moisturizing products that contain them. There's no guarantee that the oats in a moisturizer will trigger a reaction, but the product could cause irritation around your mouth and other sensitive areas.

Continue Learning about Moisturizer Ingredients

What are the occlusive emollients found in moisturizers?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
The occlusive emollients (create a protective barrier) found in moisturizers areShea butterMineral o...
What is stearic acid?
Stearic acid is a fatty acid that is found naturally in the protective outer layer of the skin. It i...
What is an emollient?
An emollient is a type of ingredient that softens the skin and smoothes its surface.
How do emollients in a moisturizer work?
Emollients, such as lanolin, jojoba oil, isopropyl palmitate, propylene glycol linoleate, squalene, ...