Can I use a moisturizer that contains oat protein if I'm allergic to oats?

If you have a known allergy to oats, you'll want to play it safe and steer clear of skin moisturizing products that contain them. There's no guarantee that the oats in a moisturizer will trigger a reaction, but the product could cause irritation around your mouth and other sensitive areas.

Continue Learning about Moisturizer Ingredients

What are humectants in skincare products?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
They attract water to the skin from the external environment – that is, the air. Examples are propyl...
Why is it important to have an occlusive in a moisturizer?
Occlusive ingredients, such as petrolatum, lanolin, mineral oil and silicones, reduce dehydration an...
What's a humectant?
Humectants are ingredients that retain moisture. In a body cleanser, a humectant can help draw water...
What do dry emollients do?
Dry emollients, such as isostearyl alcohol, absorb quickly into the skin. They do not provide much s...