What are humectants in skincare products?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
They attract water to the skin from the external environment – that is, the air. Examples are propylene glycol and Hyaluronic acid. The acid does not penetrate or directly add hyaluronic acid to the deeper layers of the skin. It works to pull extra moisture from the environment to help keep your skin moist and resilient.

Continue Learning about Moisturizer Ingredients

Why does my moisturizer contain lanolin?
Lanolin is a natural oil. It is a common component of moisturizers and lotions for preventing or tre...
Why are alpha hydroxy acids added to moisturizers?
Alpha hydroxyl acids, such as lactic or glycolic acid, are added to give products exfoliating proper...
What is stearic acid?
Stearic acid is a fatty acid that is found naturally in the protective outer layer of the skin. It i...
Why does my skin burn when I apply my usual moisturizer?
Even people who have never had allergies can develop them later in life. You should discontinue usin...