How do occlusives moisturize?

Heavier ingredients like silicones, mineral oil, beeswax, cocoa butter, dimethicone, petroleum, and paraffin are categorized as occlusives. These also increase the water content of the skin by bolstering that barrier and retarding the evaporation of water from the surface, but these ingredients are often greasy and best left for treating super dry spots or chapped lips. (Imagine lathering Vaseline all over you!) They are most effective when applied to damp skin.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Occlusives are oily substances that form a film on the top of skin, which seal in cracks and prevent moisture from escaping. An example of an occlusive is petroleum jelly.

Continue Learning about Moisturizer Ingredients

What's a humectant?
Humectants are ingredients that retain moisture. In a body cleanser, a humectant can help draw water...
Why is it important to have an occlusive in a moisturizer?
Occlusive ingredients, such as petrolatum, lanolin, mineral oil and silicones, reduce dehydration an...
Why does my skin burn when I apply my usual moisturizer?
Even people who have never had allergies can develop them later in life. You should discontinue usin...
Why does my moisturizer contain lanolin?
Lanolin is a natural oil. It is a common component of moisturizers and lotions for preventing or tre...