Why should I keep supplements that contain iron away from my child?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
A child who takes as few as five pills each containing 200 mg of iron can die from poisoning. Any supplements that contain iron -- especially chewable children's multivitamins that look like candy -- should be stored well away from children.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Can mineral supplements lower blood glucose levels?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many minerals, including chromium, magnesium, selenium, and zinc, have been promoted by popular maga...
How does chromium affect people with diabetes?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Studies show that for the body to metabolize glucose properly, it needs a small amount of chromium. ...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young