Why do I need minerals in my diet?

Kelly Traver
Minerals are divided into major minerals and trace minerals. Minerals are used in nerve impulse transmission, muscle cell contractility, maintaining water balance, and building your body's physical structure. The major minerals are needed in much larger amounts than the trace minerals. If you are like most people, you probably haven't even heard of some of the trace minerals. They are needed in only very tiny amounts to get their job done.

Major minerals
  • Calcium
  • Chlorine
  • Phosphorus
  • Potassium
  • Sodium
  • Sulfur
Minor minerals
  • Arsenic
  • Boron
  • Cobalt
  • Copper
  • Chromium
  • Fluorine
  • Iodine
  • Iron
  • Manganese
  • Molybdenum
  • Nickel
  • Selenium
  • Silicon
  • Vanadium
  • Zinc

Continue Learning about Minerals

Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Been feeling like a wet dishrag lately? Could be you're low on magnesium. Magnesium is a multitasking mineral, and one of its jobs is to power up our...
What is the estimated daily intake of minerals by an adult human male?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The estimated daily intake of minerals by an adult human male is as follows: Calcium -- 800 mg ...
What is the best way to take cobalt?
The absolute best way to get cobalt is through food. It is found in foods that are high in vitamin B...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young