Why should I consume the right amount of trace minerals?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Too much of one trace mineral can cause or contribute to a deficiency of another; for example, a minor overload of manganese can exacerbate iron deficiency. Having too little can also cause problems. When the body has too little iodine, thyroid hormone production slows, causing sluggishness and weight gain as well as other health concerns. The problem worsens if the body also has too little selenium. The difference between "just enough" and "too much" of the trace minerals is often tiny. Generally, food is a safe source of trace minerals, but if you take supplements, it's important to make sure you're not exceeding safe levels.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Can mineral supplements lower blood glucose levels?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many minerals, including chromium, magnesium, selenium, and zinc, have been promoted by popular maga...
What is the role of boron in my body?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Boron, a mineral plentiful in fruits and vegetables, appears to play an active role in the metabolis...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young